Home > Insurance Claim

Insurance Claim

March 17th, 2015 at 03:27 pm

Finally got word back from the wreck we were in last month.

They want us to settle for $1,000 and 60 days of medical treatments if needed.

I was not expecting any money, so part of me was like woo hoo!

BUT, both my back and my husband's are still hurting. So I worry we may have more than soft tissue damage. If that is the case, I hate to settle and then a couple months down the road find out we need more treatment.

We are both planning on going to the chiropractor soon. I have been advised to wait until after that and see how our backs are feeling.

What would you do? I don't want to try to milk any money. But I don't want to be stuck with medical bills either. Should I be happy with what they offered and settle now? Or wait a couple more weeks until our backs are healed?

ETA: They gave husband's brother full amount for his car thankfully, and he has since bought a new car he likes better.

9 Responses to “Insurance Claim”

  1. Xtreme Thunder Says:

    I wouldn't settle on that. Sounds like you need attorney representation or to see doctors regarding ANY injuries from the incident.

    I am sorry, but $1,000 and 60 days medical treatments is extremely low ball for anything medical related. Anything long term comes out of it, you will be on the hook for the expense.

    There is a reason there is PIP (personal Injury Protection per person and per occurrence) on the insurance policies.

    With the expense of medical care these days, sound like they will make out like a bandit (at your expense) if you have reoccurring issues related to the incident. $1,000 in the emergency room will get you pretty much nothing.

    In the end, it is up to you. Good Luck!

  2. creditcardfree Says:

    No I wouldn't settle on that either. I once accepted a low ball offer on a car accident and regret it. I was rear ended. I still have back issues likely related. I'm not sure what the right offer is, but I would keep getting medical treatment and ask them what they think your prognosis is and possible treatment. The insurance company can wait.

  3. chloe Says:

    If you're unsure at all about your injuries, I wouldn't settle, either. Is there some penalty for waiting? I would wait.

  4. Jane Says:

    If I was worried about a serious medical problem I would go to a real doctor. Chiropractors do not go to medical school and do not have the same licensing requirements. ESPECIALLY if you are worried about the legal responsibility to cover costs. If it came to a court battle, whose opinion would you rather have as your evidence- a chiropractor, or an MD?

  5. FrugalTexan75 Says:

    I'm with the others. I wouldn't take this offer.

  6. Kiki Says:

    Nope I would not take it. I also asked my sister. My sister is an acupunturist and a physician. She can treat with western AND eastern medicine but the insurance companies, for post accidents coverage, only want MD. Yet for preventive many insurance plans accept her acupuncture practice, go figure!!

    Most insurance companies will not accept anything less than an MD for future needs analysis unless the insurance company agrees to the "alternative treatment plan" created by an OD or acupuncturist after a visit to an MD (incredibly rare and MD still have to sign off for insurance co).

    Go see your MDs to get EVERYTHING recorded for post accident follow up.

    You are young and I would hate to see you plagued with issues for the rest of your life. At a minimum you should be getting the maximum of their PIP - even if it is just put into a trust account for future issues. And don't allow them to say if no problems in 60 days then we are done. Your doctor should determine when you are done.

    Also, keep accurate records of the pain, when you take relievers (aspirin, etc), how often, how it has impacted your life and caring for goats etc. best to do a written record everyday until dr releases you. Then you can settle.

  7. VS_ozgirl Says:

    No would not settle. From the experience we just had with insurance companies (Australia is a different country but I'm pretty sure insurance companies worldwide have the same mindset), they are slow to do things for your benefit and fast to do things for theirs. And once it's finalised good luck with re-opening a claim if needed. Best to wait a bit and be sure it's only soft tissue damage than settle and find out it's something more.

  8. PatientSaver Says:

    Is there some kind of deadeline for letting them know whether you want to settle or not? If not, you gain nothing by agreeing to settle and you risk more bills down the road. So sit tight and assess your medical issues thoroughly first.

  9. klarose Says:

    Thanks guys!

    I'll wait until our backs are healed before making any decisions.

    Father-in-law was in an accident a couple months ago and they tried to get him to settle. But his back pain didn't go away, he just now got an MRI and turns out some of his vertebra are fractured. He's going to be out of work for quite a while. So good thing he didn't settle.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]