Home > Update on Job Situation

Update on Job Situation

January 8th, 2016 at 02:44 pm

I posted this in the comments, but I figured I should just start a new post.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I do live in a rural community, and job choices are limited to fast food, retail, or full-time. Or I can drive an hour plus away to a bigger city, which is not worth it at this point. Especially with snow coming soon. I guess I'm looking at the old job because it's easy. I don't have to relearn anything. I'm good at it, and I know what to expect. Also, I can quit the vet job ASAP and not have to wait until I can find something else.

I did approach my previous boss and said I might be interested. I laid down my demands, that I would only work 3 days a week instead of 5 or 6, and I wouldn't being doing split shifts anymore. I also said I wouldn't be staying over to finish things up due to missed deadlines by other people. Before that he actually offered that the person who is handling things now would be willing to pick up any work that I don't have time to finish.

He told me to think about it some more before I decided. I felt no pressure. He did tell me he has mellowed down some, which I do believe and have seen in the last year. It sounds like we have come to a good compromise, but I guess there is no way of telling if it would stick or not without giving it a try.

To be clear the old boss was never mean, or belittled me like the current boss. He would loose his temper, but he would always apologize.

He WAS very demanding, things had to be just so, lots of last minute changes, working weekends, staying late, etc.

It just wasn't cohesive to having a 2nd job. So when I had the opportunity to go full time in web design I jumped. Now business has slowed down to part time, and I NEED a 2nd job.

He loves me like a daughter. Heck I used to babysit his kids. (Now they are old enough to drive, scary) He respects me as a human. Unlike the new boss who thinks I'm good for nothing, and really couldn't care less about me. So there's that. His heart was good. He just asked for too much.

I am hoping going in with clear boundaries, that if things start to fall back how they were I can point out our agreement, or quit.

Both husband and my mother are encouraging me to go back. They agree I was happier there, even with the frustrations.

One thing that is a hold up is wage. I would get $1.75 instant raise to what I am getting now. But really I was hoping for more, and the boss isn't against it. The problem is that since it's a non-profit the budget is set before the beginning of the year, and to change it is a slow and painful process with committees and meetings. Blah.

Lots to think about.

6 Responses to “Update on Job Situation”

  1. creditcardfree Says:

    I think if your gut says it would be a better fit this time and there are clear boundaries then it might actually not be a bad thing to take the job back. Only YOU know for sure.

  2. Joan.of.the.Arch Says:

    Well, this is sounding good. Glad you have been so clear with him. I hope he is not setting up a situation for office anger when he states that "the person who is handling things now would be willing to pick up any work that I don't have time to finish."

  3. ceejay74 Says:

    AS had a similar problem getting raises at the nonprofit publishing house she used to work at. The good thing is you seem to know the process, so you could incorporate that into your conditions: "And, since I know it would take X months to get a budget change to make a raise possible, I agree to work for those X months at the current salary. If after that time, I haven't been given a raise, I'll end my time here."

  4. klarose Says:

    Joan I did personally ask the volunteer who he said would be willing to help and she happily agreed. Another volunteer offered to take my weekends and split shifts. (They are doing all of it now. So I'm sure they will be glad to have an actual employee in there to take most of it off them.)

  5. VS_ozgirl Says:

    Good luck, the old job is worth it simply to be in a better working environment

  6. FrugalTexan75 Says:

    Are you going to get the agreement in writing? If so, then it may be a good plan.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]